Monday, July 14, 2008

Crafts and Gibberish

Why do I think it's funny when my children's language turns into a strange combo of lisps and Ebonics? Do I endorse this gibberish? Oh, please... of course I do. It's my daily dose of entertainment!


Ella's language "oops" consist of words that should be in the dictionary such as "bur-rry" for cold and "sparkley" for when her feet fall asleep. She also has a hard time pronouncing her "K"s, "Q"s and "C"s. They often take on a "T" sound.

Devon's major phonics fault is that he calls his little sister Weah instead of Leah. He also has a strange fetish of making up nonsense words. His favorite word is bull-pay. We have no idea what a bull-pay is or does.. but he thinks it's just hysterical.

I'm super anxious to hear Leah talk. Right now she's making lots of noises and grunts. She's found her tongue, but has no idea what it is. It's been hanging off the side of her lip quite often. :)


Now, let me refer back to my Ebonics comment. My children have taken on a strange blend of country and gangsta. (I'm pretty sure this is not Ebonics, but it's the closest language form I could correlate it to.) Ella has a definite drawl to most of her words and Devon likes to point his finger and give his words a little rude at-ti-tude.

Here's an example of Devon's gangsta side.
In the book, "The Little Red Hen", the little red hen finally asks, "Who will help my eat the bread?" Of course, instead of replying "Not I" like the many times before, the farm animals joyously say "I WILL!" Wherein the little red hen retorts, "NO! I will eat it myself." Well, this is Devon's take on the little red hen's response...

0 comments: