Friday, August 27, 2010

Cafeteria Food

My mom made me eat in the school cafeteria when I was a kid. It didn't kill me.

Now that Ella is in elementary school, she's going to eat in the cafeteria too. Let's just say, it's a family tradition! :)

She was quite excited the first couple days to pick up a tray of hot food and a carton of cold chocolate milk. That was, until she saw her friends bringing their lunches and peer pressure set in. Where did the notion of, "it's cooler to bring your lunch than eat in the cafeteria" come from anyway? It makes no logical sense. I say, "BOO" to you parents who pack your kids lunch everyday! What are you thinking? School lunches are only $1/plate. Now, that's a bargain! Of course that's not the only reason I make her eat in the cafeteria, it's convenient for me, it helps the environment (less trash), I'm providing jobs for our community, it's convenient for me...

Bring on the nachos and pineapple ring! Bring on the spaghetti and pears! Eat it up and remember, there are some kids starving in Africa!!! Be thankful for your hot plate of school lunch!

THAT SAID...
Here is what the other side of this parenting duo thinks:

Do not subject your child to eating "Turkey ala King" or as David calls it, "Turkey ala Poop"




Instead, bring a Happy Meal to school that day and eat with your baby girl!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with David!!! Although, he comes from a family where I made their lunches everyday and took great care to cut out cute sandwiches, put soup in a thermas and when they could read, a cute note. They always had something they liked to eat in their lunch pail and I didnt have to worry about them going hungry.
That said, I still love you Jill!

love, DeeDee

Unknown said...

I still remember my hot dogs in foil wrapping and thermoses full of soup and mac n cheese!!! Having my OWN Spiderman lunch box was probably the coolest part though...

Ashley said...

I was with Jill..determined to NOT pack a lunch everyday. That is until I realized that start to finish lunch is only 20 minutes long and if Avery as to wait in line for a "hot" lunch- she has around 10 minutes to eat....which means she won't eat anything. So I'm that mom- packing a lunch everyday- and complaining about it.

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I did EXACTLY what Sandie did with the lunches...notes and all!! Cute cut-out shapes were a big hit too...the highlight of the new school year was getting the perfect lunch box. :)

Hang in the Jill! :)

Love Suzy